The Hand (After Effects Workshop Three)

This workshop explored the use of the hand and the hand-drawn on screen. Image sequences, ideas about masking, creating loops, stroke, and effects are ways to work with drawing in After Effects. The final project is a 10-second piece of motion, combining analogue and digital production techniques.

Project References:

The Today Programme Promos, by Why Not Associates

The Today Programme - Jonny Wilkinson from Why Not Associates on Vimeo.

I really like the hand drawn effect this animation uses.

Forest: Just One Day, from Johnny Kelly


DULCITONE hand-drawn animation


100 days of hand-drawn animation





These are the scanned and digitised images I used for this workshop, which is one drawing, drawn three times, to produce an identical traced image to show the variation of the hand-drawn line boils.



I imported my three drawings and looped them continuously to represent the effects of hand-drawn animation.


Experimenting with different techniques, I duplicated my composition and with each drawing, I added a colour tint of red and green and moved them slighly to create a small glitch effect while the animation is still looping.



I added some music notes which a drawn on using the generate stroke effects.


I flipped the contrast of the drawings to give the animation a chalkboard appearance and the change the style of the animation throughout the 10 seconds.