Cinema 4D Lesson 3

Prototyping - Part 1 - Cans Part 2 - Bottles

This workshop introduced us to the creation of 3d prototypes for visualizing packaging. The final outcome will be a series of design prototypes using Cinema 4d.


I used an illustrator file which was imported into Cinema 4D and then used the Lathe tool, a command which takes a curve and sweeps that curve along a rotational axis to create a solid mesh or shape.



I added textures to the can as well as creating a scene by adding a floor and adding lights to create a more realistic look.


I edited the render settings and used the cloner tool to duplicate the cans and rotated them at different angles so that as much of the detail can be seen.


After prototyping the can, I moved onto the beer bottle, using similar steps to create a beer bottle shape.



Textures and materials were added to make the beer bottle look as close to realistic as possible.



I then moved onto the bottle cap, adding textures and shaping it to fit on the bottle.


Lighting and cameras were added to the scene to create shadows.

Final outcome:



After creating these in the workshop, I went on to develop my own can label to add to the cans.


I created the label in Illustrator.


I added a few more lights, a null object and a camera to rotate around the can so that you could view every angle of the can as well as the detail on the label.


Frosty Lemonade Can from Angela Jones on Vimeo.

Project References: 

Wiseacre cans

Red Bull: The Art of the Can