3D Project (After Effects Workshop Four)

This After Effects workshop involved working with Z-space, cameras, and animation in 3 dimensions. With 3D tools and advanced composting, I was able to construct a 10-second 3D scene with added textures, objects, and special effects. In this workshop we looked a few references, after the workshop, I have also added a few of my own references that I found related to this workshop.

Project References

MGMT - All We Ever Wanted Was Everything.


With the use of spacing and textures, this wonderful project uses a sticker roll-up effect which is timed to the music. I really like the variety of textures which all come together really nicely as well as the camera movement which zooms out to reveal a new scene with smaller animations.

Understand Music, from Finally.


This beautifully composed piece uses a camera to flow through multiple pages which flip to reveal a different animation. The music is timed well with the added sound effects, and the relation of the content shown to the music in the background makes a wonderful narrative.

Gourmet Eleven by Eunoians


This advert uses a variety of textures and camera techniques which flow through different scenes. I really like the art style created by the textures as well as the different scenes in this animation. 


This winter theme design was created in Adobe Illustrator, as vector-based imagery would be best for this type of project. I created this layered composition in preparation to move each object layer in a different plane in z-space in after effects. 


I added a camera layer and began to move each layer object in the order I want them to be revealed from the camera's viewpoint. 


I also experimented with different textures to add to this winter theme.


I then animated the camera to flow through this single composition. 


With each layer in place and the camera moving, I added an effect called 'CC page turn' which creates a roll-up sticker effect as seen in the first reference. This effect was added to each layer which will roll up timed with the camera slowing panning out.


 A screenshot of my layout and artwork in after effects.

I then searched for a soundtrack which would match this animation and rendered my final project to upload to Vimeo:

Winter 3D Project from Angela Jones on Vimeo.

After this workshop, I used the sticker effect in another project with a different setting, along with multiple different textures.