Adobe Illustrator CC (Morpholo Tile Task)

As an introduction to the Adobe Illustrator CC, this session will focus upon basic pen tool skills in relation to drawing/rendering and the manipulation of typographic letterforms.

We looked at the history and context of visual games within creative practice, which particular emphasis on the ‘Morpholo’ tile game devised by Thieri Foulc in 1985. Foulc explored the creative potential of constraints in relation to painting and many other visual forms.



In this workshop included a drawing and sketching phase, followed by a guided rendering of designs into finished vector illustrations. I needed to produce a collection of 12 morpholo tiles, in black and white measuring 100mm square, which needed to follow a certain algorithm to play this version of the game. To start, I chose 12 numbers from a list, giving us the tile sequence to follow, along with which sides of a square to fill in the area. My numbers were 2, 10, 11, 26, 42, 54, 86, 95, 112, 123, 175 and 191.



To help fill in the tiles, I will be using a selection of different typefaces to create the shapes within my tiles. To start, I drew a rough sketch of letterforms with fill the areas I need to do corresponding to the chart and numbers above. My next step involved producing these tiles in Illustrator. 




I added outline to transfer the letter form into a shape so I could further manipulate the object to what I need.


I added a mask to this layer in order to select a piece of the letter and work from that.


My final piece