Adobe CC Poster Task

In this session, which introduces Adobe CC software, focuses upon the basic layout principles in Adobe InDesign. We explored classic layouts used in the twentieth century by Jan Tschichold, as seen in the Gutenberg Bible and the ‘Van de Graaf Canon’. This task required to design a poster which is a typographic expression of our personal creative manifesto. We needed to use type, shape and colour in a manner which magnifies the meaning within our words. The posted needed to be A2 portrait (with bleed) and output to a press-ready pdf file with crops.



In today's session, using InDesign, I learnt how to compose a document and how pages can be structured through the use of columns and bleeds. Bleed around the edges of a document are important, especially when it comes to print as I'll avoid getting a white line around the edges of the images. As this was my first time using this program, I experimented with some of the basic tools such as text, shapes and colour fills. I also looked for inspiration from existing poster designs, looking specifically at the use of typography.

 Poster Designs by Josef Müller-Brockmann

Manifestos that inspired my design

The reason why I like these type of posters is because of the variety of fonts that were used, some fonts were used to make a specific word stand out, and that's how I want my manifesto to represent myself. These posters make a good use of rows and columns, which each row which a different font style.

I created a new document with appropriate bleed.

I started off with a simple plain background, and for the fonts and icons, I used a colour to contrast the background. In this case, I used a blue background and white font/icons. I then locked the background in place so that I wouldn't accidentally move it when dealing with several layers. 

I experimented with a variety of fonts and layouts, and moved the objects around to suit the manifesto.

I used the guidelines and grids to ensure the objects were correctly place according to measurements and to fit within the margin, bleed and page edges. 

I continued to add different fonts, and moved the objects to fill as much background space as needed without being overcrowded. 

 Here are the same type of manifesto but with different background, I prefer the blue colour as it's much more of a calming colour to the eye. Overall I am happy with my manifesto and the skills I have learnt during my first time using Adobe InDesign, I enjoyd experimenting with different font styles and layouts in order to create a piece that I feel represents me as a graphic designer/animator.