Species of Spaces

For this session, using simple drawing/writing tools was to record a personal memory as text and as maps of different scales. Each scale/frame will influence the detail that you can render, so the centre of your view is crucial and needs to be consistent. Considerations included symbolic visual elements, with which to represent feelings, objects and contexts. We used the 'Powers of Ten' film as inspiration.




(My final piece on the scroll)

In the afternoon, in groups, we combined all our individual mini sketchbooks together to see how they overlap or link. On a paper scroll, we needed to create a collaborative narrative map which contains a single aspect of each of the members memory. For my piece, I did a memory of when I visited Warwick Castle in Warwickshire. For this, I drew a castle along with the map drawn directly onto the castle itself. However I left this unshaded compared to the rest of the picture. The reason for this was to make the map stand out.